Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

As I mentioned before one of the new ways I am trying to save money is to start making things myself. The coffee creamer went so well that I decided to try something else. I must say Pinterest has made this pretty easy to do! I have found lots of new things to make. I decided the next thing would be Fabric Softener. It was fairly easy and cheap to make so I figured it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg if I decided I didn't like it, lol. Here is the recipe:

6 cups of HOT water
3 cups of white vinegar
2 cups of conditioner



I used lavender scented just because I like it, lol. You can use whatever conditioner you want to.

Mix the conditioner and hot water well, until the conditioner is dissolved. Add the vinegar and mix well.


Ignore the empty soda bottles, lol my husband collects them to store his homemade beer in :)

Now you store it in a large container, I used 2 empty snuggle fabric softener bottles. And a little advice use a funnel to pour into container, just makes it a little easier.

When you are ready to use it just use it like you would any other fabric softener, and it does work in the Downy Ball!

I was a bit skeptical about it since I am not a fan of the smell of vinegar and it smelled really strong, but I still gave it a shot. And wow was I amazed!! The vinegar smell could not be smelled on the clothes and my husbands Army uniforms, which were VERY stinky from deployments, field time and PT FINALLY smelled clean!! I will never again buy fabric softener!

The best part is it only cost me around $1.25 - $1.50 to make! The conditioner was $0.94 and the vinegar was $1.40 for the BIG jug and I only used about 1/4 of it. Lot's left for my next homemade experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment